Texas Server Certification FAQ
Here are some of our most frequently asked questions. If your question is not answered below you can reach out to us using our contact page or call us M-F from 8:30 AM-5:30 PM at (844) 602-1555.
- Are you guys approved by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC)?
Yes. 2Cool Server Training is a certified TABC course provider that is state-approved by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
- Who wrote this course?
2Cool Server Training is regulated under the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code (TABC) §50.7. Management of Internet-Based Course of Instruction. The state requirements, including content and test questions, apply to all online TABC schools.
- Do I have to start the course right after I sign up?
Nope! After you register and pay, you can start the course whenever you want.
- Do I have to do the course all at once?
Nope! You can start and stop at anytime. When you are ready to tackle the course, it will pick up right where you left off.
- What do I do after I finish the course?
We will email you once your certificate of completion is available to be downloaded. If you need the process expedited, give us a call and we’ll be happy to help. Then, print out your certificate of completion and hand it to your employer or keep it on file for your own records. You can print as many as you want. Please allow up to 14 days for your completion information to fully process in their system. (Please note: You must provide your Social Security Number and Date of Birth in order for us to report your completion to the TABC database.)
- Is this the same as getting my bartending certification?
No! While our TABC course allows you to serve alcohol in the hospitality industry, this is not the same as getting your bartending certification.
- What’s the difference between bartending certification and Texas TABC certification?
Ah, the million dollar question. OK, not really, but the difference is that a bartending certification shows your employer that you have the knowledge of recipes to make drinks correctly. However, your Texas TABC certification will show them that you understand the laws and rules of selling alcohol in the state of Texas. It also shows them that you know how to handle sticky situations when it comes to intoxicated customers. Knowledge is power!
- I went to bartender school! Do I still need to get TABC certified if I already have my bartending certification?
Check with your employer. You can have your bartending certification from bartender schools and still not be able to serve alcohol because you don’t have your Texas TABC certification. However, if your employer says that the training from bartender schools is sufficient, then you are good to go!
- WHO needs to take the course?
This course is not required by Texas state law. However, it may be required by your employer before you can start selling and serving alcohol.
- WHAT is it?
TABC is short for Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission. The TABC course is intended to bring alcohol awareness and teach responsible alcohol sales techniques in the state of Texas. You will learn the general liabilities and obligations you have as a seller-server of alcohol. You will also learn how to correctly identify a minor and how to deal with sticky situations when you cannot sell to intoxicated persons or people you suspect have a fake ID.
- WHERE can I take the course?
You can take the course ANYWHERE! Our course is compatible with all devices–smartphone, laptop, desktop, or tablet. As long as you have access to internet, then you’ll be able to take the course anytime, anywhere.
- WHEN can I take the course?
You can take the course anytime you want. It is available to you 24/7 and you can start/stop the course whenever you’d like.
- WHY should I take this course?
Most places that serve and sell alcohol will require you to take this course before allowing you to work for them. Also, having TABC certification on your resume will set you apart from the other candidates. You will also learn how to avoid criminal charges in the workplace by learning responsible alcohol sales techniques in the state of Texas.
- HOW long does it take?
Since it is a self-paced course, the time varies. You can complete it all in one sitting or break it up to fit your schedule. However, you must spend at least 2 hours in the course. This is a state requirement for all schools that offer TABC certification.
- Why do you need my Social Security Number (SSN)?
We need it to report your official certification to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC). We respect your privacy and will never share this information.
- What if I don’t have a Social Security Number (SSN)?
You can use any of the following Personal Identification Numbers:
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Alien Registration Number (“A” Number)
- IV case number from a machine-readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)
- How old do I have to be to take the course?
There is no age restriction to take the course. However, there may be an age restriction to serve alcohol based on the regulations from your employer.
- How much does the course cost?
Our course is offered for a low cost of $13.95. No hidden fees.
- How do I pay?
You can click here and pay with a debit card or credit card.
- What if I don’t have a debit or credit card to pay with?
Most grocery stores sell prepaid money cards that you can use to purchase the course.
- What cards do you accept?
We accept credit cards, debit cards, and prepaid cards that are Visa, Mastercard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club.
- When can I get my certificate?
We will submit your completion within 2 business days to the TABC Commission. As soon as it has been submitted, you will be able to download and print your certificate from your student dashboard. We will send you an email once your certificate is ready to be downloaded. We do not mail hard copy certificates.
- Why can’t I open the PDF to get my certificate?
Make sure that you have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can click here to download it for free.
- If you lost your certificate or simply need another copy, you can login to your account on our website and print out the PDF for free.
- How long does my certificate last?
Your certification is valid for 2 years from the date it is issued. To stay certified, you must purchase and take the course again before the expiration date.
- How do I check to see when my certificate expires?
You can check the expiration date by logging into the TABC website here and selecting “Certificate Inquiry” located on the left, then enter your SSN and DOB.
Personal Validation Questions
- What are Personal Validation Questions (PVQ)?
Personal validation questions are asked periodically throughout the course to verify that the person who enrolled is the same person that is taking the course and not someone else taking it for you.
- What happens if I get PVQs wrong?
TABC rules say that if you get more than 3 questions wrong, then you must be dropped from the course and start all over again from the very beginning.
- What if a question does not apply to me?
If a question does not apply to you, simply put “N/A” as your answer. For example, if it asks for your middle name and you do not have a middle name then put “N/A.”
- How do I avoid getting these wrong?
You must remember the answers that you submitted. More importantly, answer truthfully. If you answer truthfully, then you avoid having to remember anything and avoid the risk of being dropped from the course completely.
- How long do I have to answer a PVQ?
You have 1 minute (60 seconds) to answer a PVQ. This is a state requirement.
- Is there a final exam?
Yes. It has 25 multiple choice questions. To prepare you for the exam, there are chapter quizzes. These are very easy and the questions are extremely similar to the ones you will see on the exam.
- How many questions do I need to get right on the final exam?
You will need to answer 18 questions correctly.
- What if I fail the final exam?
You have two (2) attempts to pass the exam. If you fail a second time, you will need to repurchase and repeat the entire course. This is a state requirement.
- Is there a quiz?
Yes. There are four (4) quizzes. There is only one quiz in each chapter. Each quiz has five questions, and you must answer four of the five questions correctly. This is a state requirement. Think of these quizzes as preparation for your final exam.
- What if I fail a quiz?
If you fail a quiz–meaning that you get more than one question wrong–then you must repeat the entire chapter again. This is a state requirement. Luckily, you have Brain Busters and Spot Checks to prepare you for chapter quizzes.
- What are Brain Busters and Spot Checks?
Brain Busters and Spot Checks are questions that simply review what you have just read. There is no penalty for getting any Brain Buster or Spot Check question wrong. You can answer these as many times until you identify the correct answer. Think of them as questions that prepare you for chapter quizzes.
- What kind of software do I need for your course?
You will want to use Google Chrome orMozilla Firefox as your internet browser. You will also need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to download and print out your certificate.
- I am locked out of the course.
You are locked out of the course for getting too many PVQ questions wrong. Please contact our customer support.
- What happens if I have other technical issues during the course?
- Contact us toll free by phone at 1-844-602-1555.
- Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contact us via Live Chat M-F / 8:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.
Customer Support Information
- What is the phone number for 2Cool customer support?
- What is the email address for 2Cool customer support?
- What are your hours of operation?
Our customer support line is opened Monday-Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. However, the online course itself is available 24/7.
Spread the love